OK so after coming back from Spain all i can say is “What Recession?”
Taking your own lunch isn’t the biggest thing there, families eat at home together.
To be honest, we haven’t felt the recession that badly. Sure many of my family friends and family members have been loosing their jobs left right and center. 5 redundancies of family members in a week. I honestly didn’t know what to think. Almost all my friends have moved back home in order to cope. But we still have money to feed ourselves. We manage.
Buying lunch is one of the main drags on my income aside form petrol and the usual odds and ends, but why not just take it?
Now, I don’t own a microwave, after seeing what microwaved water did to a plants after 2 weeks of watering. NO WAY AM I GOING TO GO BACK TO THEM. Sure it does make heating things a longer process. But what on earth did we do without them?
Well I am usually really strapped for time so in the mornings when I get up I chuck food on the stove and then put it in a preheated thermos.
Yes. You did read that right. Every day I take a lunch, not always hot, but equally as nice as what other people have and rival to the shops.
I usually make a casserole or a curry and a separate batch of beans, lentils, legumes (any type) at the start of the week and just make quinoa daily, in it all goes together, liquid and all, and by the time I get to it 7 hours later, it is still steaming hot. I love it.
DO you even remember the last time you used a thermos for anything other than soup or tea?
When I realized that I could cook in my thermos my life changed. I HAVE TIME, well more time in the mornings at least. It is like a one-pot-wonder…. except it is in a thermos
http://www.thekitchn.com/no-microwave-at-work-cook-with-a-thermos-186236 Jump on the band wagon and feel yourself saving lots of money. well think about it.
- A thermos full of coffee : save yourself $4 per cup
- A thermos full of a yummy hot and healthy lunch : save yourself $14-20 (YAY! that’s more money for petrol!
Casserole Recipe (IT IS REALLY HARD TO MUCK THIS UP)
- 1 brown onion chopped
- 2 carrots chopped in half
- 2 big potatoes with skin on or off in quarters
- 2 capsicums
- 1 bulb of garlic (up to you)
- 500 + grams of a cheap steak, maybe silverside? (should be around $6 for a lot of meat
- Worcestershire sauce
- A teaspoon of sugar
- optional a bottle of wine 🙂 maybe only half the bottle 🙂
- 2 table spoons of olive oil (please dont sub this for coconut, i have had it and it ruins the taste)
- vegetable stock – home made preferably
- a bunch of bayleaves
how to do it:
- heat a pan with a little oil in it, put steak in and brown the outside without cooking inside.
- take out the steak and cup it up, don’t freak-out that it is uncooked inside, that is the point. Turn on the oven (175 celcious fan forced).
- get your casserole dish put the oil and maybe about 2 or 3 table spoons of Worcestershire sauce in.
- then get some water like a cup of hot water and mix maybe a tablespoon of veggie-stock in it before you pour it into the dish too.
- Add the steak pieces put sugar over the top
- add the bay leaves and the pepper – like a lot, in my opinion, this is never peppy enough, maybe like a teaspoon/tablespoon of pepper
- put in the potato pieces and carrots on top of them, like a layering system, and then the onion on top – it can really go where ever it wants
- add the capsicum if you want to or any other veggies at the top (i would advise keeping cauliflower and broccoli and well anything else out until you put it in the thermos, the 7 hours of heat in there will cook it enough)
- now the best part, you can either drink the wine or pour some in, cover the liquid maybe half way (thats what I do), try and keep the carrot out of the water, but what ever happens happens. as long as the meat is covered i think you are good to go.
- lid on and into the oven for around 4 hours or less it is up to you.
I actually think this would work really well in a slow cooker.
#by the time you get it out of the over, the meat should literally be falling apart and be so tasty.
All I can say is that since I have started taking my own food and lunch the money in my pocket is going to better uses.